Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Looking Glass of History

Today we went to three places: Oxford, Stratford Upon Avon, and Warwick Castle.



Oxford does not mirror a campus a like the United States. It is not merely one University but several combined under one rule. It's almost comparable to the United Kingdoms system of government. It compares to that system by one ruling system that separate colleges follow. It has several colleges under the jurisdiction of one University. To be exact there are 38 colleges.Each college has its own Governing Body, comprising the Head of House and a number of Fellows, most of whom also hold University posts. There are also six Permanent Private Halls, which were founded by various Christian denominations The application process is also different from the Unites Application process. First it's important to have an impressive application. That includes high academics in high school and on the entrance exam. After that you will interview with the colleges who select you. The interview are complicated to prepare for. The judges want you to set your self apart form the rest. One interview set judges newspapers on fire to  'entertain him'. He was ,oddly enough, excepted into the the University. Among the Universities we visited was Brasenose College.  
 












This is among one of the four oldest Colleges in London

 
Dinning hall.
Then we departed for Stratford Upon Avon. Among my blond moments it's not a University, instead it's was home to a so to speak 'smart clock' of a man. William Shakespeare was born and lived in Avon Upon Stratford.




After visiting I have a new love for the man's myriad complex vocabulary. A normal person only used 2,000 words in speech. Shakespeare used 40,000. Our group was then privileged to walk upon the same floor as Shakespeare.
 








Our day then ended with our last Tour site Warwick Castle. Only sections of the Castle are available for the public to tour. Tour able part was a Victorian setting of scandal and affected personalities of the last family who lived there.  Visit the foll wing website for more information: www.warwick-castle.com/plan-your-day/history.aspx -
I could babble for hours about today. Due to the fact of the downloading capabilities of the Internet, these are not my personal pictures. I will upload some as soon as possible.
Cheers,
Danielle

 







Well I finally got back and as you can see uploaded pictures!!! I tried to only upload a few, I have six hundred. Looking at the above information I realized I left out some important information. Those question include how is this alike/different from the United States, or what I'm I feeling. I think I explained the differences for Oxford but not for the Castle. The United States is a young country compared to Britain. So the history is different in both countries. In American I don't know of any Castles you can go and tour that are that old. I've been to different forts in America i.e.-Fort Bridger and Laramie, but the Castle was used for longer and for royal families. One of the things I got to do was try some British food, I pick Cornish pastry. Above is a  picture!!
Once again CHEERS!!
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment